You need to submit an application for a building permit if you want to:
- Build a new building or structure
- Repair, renovate, add to, or demolish an existing building
- Build a deck
- Erect a sign (regulated by Section 3.15 of Division B that are not structurally supported by a building),
- Erect a tent or group of tents that is, more than 60 square metres (646 square feet) in aggregate ground area, attached to a building, or constructed within three metres (nine feet and 10 inches) of any structure)
- Install a new septic system
- Install a solid fuel appliance (i.e. woodstove and fireplace)
- Change of use
All applications are reviewed for compliance with the Ontario Building Code and Zoning By-law requirements.
How to Apply for a Building Permit
- Complete the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish. Paper copies of the application are available at the Town Office.
- Include the following documents:
- a site plan
- a lot grading and drainage plan prepared by a Professional Engineer (P. Eng), Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or Ontario Land Surveyor (OLS) as applicable
- two sets of plans and specifications (One set will be returned to the applicant to keep on the construction site)
- Submit your completed application form and required documents to the Town Office in person
A fee will be required for your building permit application. Building Permit costs are found on our Fees and Development Charges page. Please contact our office at 519-832-2008 ext. 118 should you require assistance in determining the permit fee.
Please refer to Section 3.2 of Building By-law 50-2015 for more detailed information about complete application requirements for specific types of buildings.
For frequently asked questions, please visit our Building FAQs page.