Print Icon  

Fees and Development Charges

Contact Us

Dana Mitchell
Office Administrator Building Department
Town of Saugeen Shores
Box 820
600 Tomlinson Drive
Port Elgin ON N0H 2C0

T. 519-832-2008 x118
Toll Free: 1-866-832-2008 x118
F. 519-832-2140
Email the Office Administrator Building Department

Permits and Fees

Fees for Building Permits

Class of Permit


New main buildings or structures 
  • Residential Buildings, Group C
$9.45 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
  • Residential Buildings unfinished spaces
$4.70 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
  • Commercial, Group D & Group E
$10.45 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
  • Care, Treatment and Detention Occupancies, Group B
$11.48 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
  • Institutional or Group A Assembly Occupancies
$11.48 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
  • Industrial, Group F1, F2 & F3
$7.90 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
Additions & Renovations
  • Single Family Residential
  • Multiple Family Residential
  • Commercial
  • Institutional
  • Industrial
$10.45 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
Additions & Renovations 
  • Residential Unfinished Spaces
$5.35 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
New Accessory Buildings
  • Small Buildings under Part 9 (NON FARM)
$7.90 per sq m with a minimum fee of $135.00
Demolition $140.45
Letter of Compliance $91.08
Letter of Compliance in less than 48 hours $134.08

For a complete list of fees view our Classes of Permits and Permit Fees

You may also qualify for a reduction in the building permit fees required for your renovation if the land is located within downtown Port Elgin or downtown Southampton.

Fees in these areas are 50% of the calculated required fee.


Development Charges (DC's)

The Town of Saugeen Shores collects Development Charges to cover the cost of infrastructure (roads, sewers, water, Fire Stations, Police Stations, recreation centres, libraries etc.).

When do we collect Development Charges?

DC's are usually collected at the time of the building permit.

How can I calculate my Development Charges?

We created a simple Development Charges Pamphlet to help you calculate the total cost of Development Charges.

Development Charges By-law


How to Pay

The Town accepts the following forms of payment for Building Permit Fees:

  • cash,
  • debit,
  • money order,
  • cheque,
  • Visa, and
  • Master Card.

Cheques and money orders are payable to the Town of Saugeen Shores.

Please note Visa and Master Card payment is not accepted for payment of Development Charges.