We operate and maintain water and sewer services to residents and businesses in the Town of Saugeen Shores.

Water services

We make sure that everyone in Saugeen Shores has access to clean, drinkable water.

How we operate the Town's water services

We own the Town's water distribution system in agreement with the Ontario Clean Water Agency (O.C.W.A.). The O.C.W.A. operates the municipal water treatment plant, found in Southampton.

We are responsible for:

  • Maintaining, operating and replacing water services and hydrants
  • Locating water services
  • Maintaining, flushing and upgrading the water distribution system
  • Operating water main valves and valve boxes
  • Maintaining 150 km of water mains and all municipal mains up to individual property lines

For more information, view our Saugeen Shores Drinking Water System Annual Report.

Homeowners' responsibilities

Homeowners in Saugeen Shores are responsible for:

  • Water lines on their property
  • Ensuring their water meter's puck, found outside the home, is clearly accessible and readable
  • A property owner shall take all precautions necessary to prevent damage by frost, hot water, blows, injury or damage from any cause to the water meter and any appurtenances thereto. 
  • Broken water meters will be replaced by the Town at the homeowner's request and expense. For replacement/repairs to the water meter after business hours (7:00 am-3:30 pm), special charges will be applied. During office hours, meters can be purchased at the Town office and installed by a licensed plumber. Fees as per the Fees and Charges by-law apply. Final inspection of the newly installed water meter is required by the Town of Saugeen Shores.

Lawn watering

View our Watering By-law or Watering By-law Summary for information on lawn watering guidelines. Our Watering Brochure also offers suggestions and tips for lawn watering.

Water conservation

We encourage residents to conserve water where possible. For more information, view How to Conserve Water and Save Money for some conservation ideas.

Installing a sandpoint well

Sandpoint wells are often used for irrigation and do not draw potable water. They are not connected to the property's municipal water services.

If you would like to install a sandpoint well on your property, please fill out our sandpoint well application form


Sewer services

We make sure that all waste is properly collected through the municipal sewer system in Saugeen Shores.

How we operate the Town's sewer services

We own, operate and maintain two sanitary sewer collection systems in Saugeen Shores. The O.C.W.A. operates two municipal sewage treatment plants, located in Southampton and Port Elgin, in agreement with the Town.

We are responsible for:

  • Maintaining, operating and replacing sewer services and 130 km of sewer mains and forcemains
  • Locating sewer services and mains
  • Maintaining, flushing and inspecting sewer collection systems
  • All municipal sewer laterals up to private property lines

Homeowners' responsibilities

Homeowners in Saugeen Shores are responsible for:

  • Sewer lines on their property
  • Cleaning sewer laterals from their building up to the municipal boundary
Call 519-832-2008 ext. 130 to ask about our Application for a Lateral Sewer Connection.

Septic permits

View more information on septic permits for private sewage systems.

Water and sewer billing

View more information on the Town's water and sewer billing procedures.

Service Line Warranties 

Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC) is working in partnership with the Town of Saugeen Shores to offer homeowners affordable water or sewer line service repair plans. The plans can cover the costs of fixing broken, clogged or leaking water or sewer lines that connect their homes to the Town’s systems. Homeowners will soon receive updated information in the mail about the available plans. There is no obligation to sign up for a plan. 

Homeowners can contact SLWC directly to learn more about the available plans at 1-866-922-9004 or by visiting www.slwofc.ca.


Are you planning a home project? View the procedures to Call Before You Dig.


Opening/closing a water account or if you are moving to or from an address within Saugeen Shores, please request a water meter reading. There is a fee of $25 for all new, transferred or reactivated accounts.