Print Icon  

Marriage Licence

Contact Us

Linda White
Town of Saugeen Shores
Box 820
600 Tomlinson Drive
Port Elgin ON N0H 2C0

T. 519-832-2008 x104
Toll Free: 1-866-832-2008 x104
F. 519-832-2140
Email the Clerk

Saugeen Shores issues Marriage Licences during regular business hours, Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:15 pm. An appointment is recommended to ensure Staff is available.

What Documentation will I require to obtain a Marriage Licence?

  • A completed Marriage Licence Application Form signed by both parties

  • 2 Pieces of Photo ID which can include a driver's licence, current passport or birth certificate

  • If previously divorced, the original Divorce Decree or Divorce Certificate is required.  Copies can be obtained from the Court where the divorce was granted and must be certified.

Are there additional issues to be considered?

  • If both parties cannot appear at the municipal office in person, one party can bring in the following:         

    • completed and signed application form

    • 2  Pieces of Photo ID which can include driver's licence, current passport or birth certificate for each applicant

  • If a person is under the age of 18, consent of both parents is required and a Consent to Marriage - Sworn Affidavit must be completed.   If divorce, death or separation of a parent is involved the parent or guardian with custody can sign.

How Long does it take to process a Marriage Licence?

A Marriage Licence will be issued the same day and is valid anywhere in Ontario. It can be obtained up to 90 days prior to the ceremony.

What is the fee to obtain a Marriage Licence?

The fee for a marriage licence in Saugeen Shores is $130.00, payable by cash, cheque or debit card.

If I was Divorced outside of Canada what information is required?

An applicant, whose divorce was in a jurisdiction other than Canada, must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before an Ontario marriage licence may be issued.

To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing the applicants, must mail the following to the Office of the Registrar General:

  • A completed Marriage Licence Application.

  • The original Certificate of Divorce or the Decree Absolute, or a court certified copy of same (translated into English if necessary).

  • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants.

  • A legal opinion from an Ontario Lawyer.

Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8

Once you have received the letter of authorization from the Registrar, you may present your Marriage Licence Application form, along with 2 pieces of identification and the letter of authorization to the municipal office.