Print Icon  

Predator Application & Compensation

Contact Us

Town of Saugeen Shores
600 Tomlinson Drive
P.O. Box 820
Port Elgin
N0H 2C0

T. 519-832-2008
F. 519-832-2140

Ontario Wildlife Damage (Livestock) Compensation Program

Program Overview

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife. The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program is administered by the Ministry of Agriculture,Food and Rural Affairs.

The Town processes Wildlife Damage claims which are completed in a three-step process:

  1. The Producer who suffers a loss of livestock contacts the Town and a Livestock Valuer is dispatched to the site.
  2. The Program Application, including photos, and supporting documents are completed by the Livestock Valuer and forwarded to the Ministry within 10 business days of the livestock owner contacting the Town.
  3. A Municipal Application is then completed by the Clerk’s Department a minimum of 20 business days after first sending the Program Application to the Ministry.

For more information visit Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program on the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs' website.

Beaver Bounty

County of Bruce By-law 4366-2007 sets out the method for which applications can be made and compensation paid for the removal of a Nuisance Beaver.

In Saugeen Shores a trapper must remove the tail of the beaver and bring it, in addition to completed County of Bruce Land Owner Authorization Form, to the Saugeen Shores municipal office. A municipal officer will sign the compensation form and keep the beaver tail. It’s the trapper’s responsibility to dispose of the remaining beaver carcass.

Coyote Bounty

The County of Bruce passed By-law 2013-046 to allow for the taking of coyotes and setting the rate for compensation.

A trapper is responsible for having a Coyote/Wolf Predation Compensation Claim Form completed by all parties as listed on the form. The municipality is responsible for completing Section 4 - “Authorization of Hunter or Trapper by the Municipality”.