Print Icon  

Water Services

Contact Us

The Town of Saugeen Shores owns 1 water system and is responsible for:

  • Maintenance of the municipally owned Water Distribution System is currently operated and maintained under signed contract with the Ontario Clean Water Agency (O.C.W.A.)
  • Operation of the municipal water treatment plant currently located in Southampton is operated by O.C.W.A. under signed contract
  • Preventative maintenance of the distribution system involves items as listed:

    • Maintain, operate and replace water services and hydrants
    • Maintain and replace water meters
    • Locate water services
    • Maintain, flush and upgrade the water distribution system and operate water main valves and valve boxes 

We are responsible for:

  • 150 km of water mains
  • All municipal water mains up to individual property lines

Annual Reports:

Homeowners are responsible for:

  • Water lines on their property
  • Making sure that the puck on your water meter found outside your house is clear of debris for readers to be able to obtain an accurate read

View our Watering By-Law or our quick Watering By-Law summary for more information on lawn watering and consult our Watering By-Law brochure to see some of our suggestions for watering.

Water and Sewer Billing

In the Town of Saugeen Shores, water and/or sewer bills are distributed to anyone who is using municipal services. Bills are sent out bi-monthly and are based on a minimum flat rate (depending on the size of meter) plus volumetric charge based on water consumption.

View our Water and Sewer Rates page.

Sandpoint Well

A sandpoint well is a small well that is commonly used for irrigation, instead of using Municipal water. These wells are shallow water wells that do not draw potable water, as they are not connected to the water service on the property.
After installing a sandpoint on your property, it is mandatory that a cross-connection inspection is done by a member of the Town of Saugeen Shores, to ensure the well is not connected to Municipal water. The sandpoint permit fee pays for the cost of the inspection.
In order to obtain an inspection, please submit a Sandpoint Well Application/Registration form to the Town of Saugeen Shores Municipal Office and pay the necessary fees.
For further information, please contact the Municipal Office at 519-832-2008 ext. 130.


Please visit our Call Before You Dig page.

Water Conservation

Residents are encouraged to conserve water when feasible.  View a report on some conservation ideas.